I'm sorry, are you still using a plate to eat your pie? How about a pie plate to bake your pies? Get with the instagram trend, ditch the plate, ditch the pie plate and bake your pies directly on your Baking Steel Original. So called hand pies are just what the sound like: a generous, heart slab of pie crust filled like a DIY pop tart.
Place your parchment lined sheet tray directly on top of your Baking Steel Original to and bake up a dozen at a time. The Baking Steel Original is going to blast direct heat into your sheet tray to ensure you get a bottom crust that is crispy, never gummy or uncooked. Filled with classic apple pie filling, these pies may not be traditional in form but they fit the bill in the flavor department.
Click here to see other recipes by Baking Steel!
Apple Hand Pies
At least 1 ball of pie dough..
2 eggs and a splash of water
Mix thoroughly with fork
4 or 5 medium sized macintosh apples, peeled and cut in cubes
100 grams (4 tbsp) brown sugar
10 grams (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
50 grams (1/2 stick) butter
50 grams (5 oz.) orange juice
36 grams (3 tbsp) corn starch
4 grams (1 tsp) vanilla
Directions for apple mixture
1. Take your peel and chopped apples and toss them in the brown sugar and orange juice and vanilla.
2. In a sauce pan, melt and brown the butter, add apple mixture and sugar and cook over medium heat for 1o minutes. Continue to stir, add corn starch to blend.
3. Remove from pan and place on sheet tray to cool.
Apple Hand Pies
2.. Roll out pie dough to about 1/8 of an inch. Cut out circles, squares, rectangles. You will need one for top and bottom. Place 6 bottoms on a piece of parchment.
3. Using a fork or spoon, place apple filling in the center of each rectangle. Repeat for all 6. Take the remaining pie doughs and place on top, the top should be forming a dome shape.
4. Using the back of a fork, carefully crimp the edges all around by pressing with the fork. Repeat for all pieces. Using the tip of the fork, poke through the dough on top to allow some steam to escape while cooking.
5. Take your egg wash and brush all the pies. Either place your parchment onto a sheet try and then launch, or place parchment directly onto your Steel. Bake for 15 minutes, remove to cool.
Baking Steel Original heat blast
Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream