If you have been following us for a while, hopefully, you have mastered our 72-hour dough recipe. We like to call that our Master Dough. We especially love the long fermentation time, we find it ideal for flavor and texture.
With the master dough in mind, today we are going to try an alternative liquid. We are going to substitute the water for Starbucks coffee or make your own. The substitution is really simple. Instead of 1 1/2 cups of water, we are going to use Coffee. Really any coffee you drink will be fine. Just remember to pour it in at room temperature. If it’s too hot you may kill the yeast. Substituting coffee in your pizza dough recipe is going to elevate you to Culinary genius.
Starbucks Coffee Pizza Dough
(makes 3 -4 doughs)
- 500 grams (3 3/4 Cups) all purpose flour
- 12 grams (3 tsp) fine sea salt
- 1 gram (1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 350 grams or 1 1/2 cups of freshly brewed coffee, room temperature
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bread flour and salt, next add yeast and whisk.
- Slowly add the coffee, and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula just to combine. Once the mixture is moistened, lightly flour a countertop or large cutting board and remove the dough from the bowl with lightly oiled or wet hands (to discourage sticking). Knead for 3-4 minutes to remove clumps. The dough won't become elastic, but should easily form a loose ball and will be very sticky.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp, clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out and developing a skin.
- Place on counter and let sit 12 hours at room temperature. It will double in size and you may see bubbles forming on the surface. Place bowl in fridge for 12 hours or over night. Remove dough day of use and follow next steps.
- Lightly flour a large cutting board or your kitchen countertop, and place the dough on it. Wet or lightly oil your hands again.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions and make your dough balls.
- Allow dough balls to rest for 3-4 hours at room temperature, covered. Make some of our coffee cinnamon buns.