Tomatoes coming off the vines this time of year are just about as fresh as you can get. The beauty in this pie, is that you literally take your tomatoes and crush them by hand or pulverize with a food processor. Distribute the tomatoes on top of your favorite pizza dough recipe. If you need inspiration, our 72-hour slow ferment is pretty awesome. This hand crushed tomato pizza is pure summertime bliss!
Oven Notes: After a good one hour pre-heat at 500 F I switch the oven to broil and wait for that broiler to kick on (turn red) so i know it's fired up and then I launch. That really helps that oven spring and bake time. After about two minutes under the broiler, i switch the oven back to convection bake to finish off the pizza.
I place my Baking Steel Original on the 2nd rack from to top. About 7 inches from my broiler.
If your broiler takes a few minutes to kick on, it may be that your oven is too hot. Drop your preheat temperature to 450 F, and then switch to broil. You may find that broiler kicking in a little bit faster.
Hand Crushed Tomato Pizza
- 1 72 hour pizza dough
- 1 fresh garden tomoto
- 2-3 basil leafs
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 oz. shaved fresh mozzarella
1. Preheat your oven to 500F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
- 2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch diameter round. Dust your pizza peel with a combination of flour and semolina flour. Place dough on top.
- 3. Switch oven to broil.
- 4.Crush tomatoes by hand or in a food processor. Just pulse a few times with some salt. If crushing by hand, slice into quarters and then crush in a bowl. Add some salt.
- 5. Distribute crushed tomatoes over top of dough and then add mozzarella. Launch into oven on Baking Steel. Bake for 90 seconds, open oven and rotate 180 degrees. Switch oven back to bake and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 6. Remove, add basil and drizzle olive oil on top. Slice and serve...