Using Your Baking Steel™ Your Baking Steel has been pre-seasoned and is ready for use upon delivery.
- Move your oven rack to the second highest setting in your oven and place Baking Steel on rack. Allow enough room to launch and remove pizza.
- Preheat the oven on bake at 500˚F for approximately 45 minutes.
- Lightly flour/cornmeal or breadcrumb the peel to prevent sticking. Put a rolled out pizza dough on the pizza peel (paddle). Add your toppings.
- With quick jerking movement, slide the pizza off the paddle onto the Baking Steel in your oven.
- Cook for approximately 7-9 minutes or until the pizza is bubbly and charred but not burnt.
- When removing pizza, you must use pizza paddle. Baking Steel is extremely hot and will burn.
- Place pizza on a cutting surface or tray to slice and serve!
- For breads: After Baking Steel has been pre-heated, slide dough onto Baking Steel with pizza paddle. Bake according to recipe. Bake times may be faster.
- For frozen pizzas, please follow instruction on pizza box. Bake times may be faster.
- After oven has been turned off, please allow Baking Steel at least one hour to cool. Please use oven mitt or like to remove Baking Steel.
WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH BAKING STEEL WHEN IN USE! IT IS EXTREMELY HOT!
NOTE: Baking Steel will get darker with each use.
Cleaning and Seasoning Your Baking Steel™
While maintaining the seasoning should keep your Baking Steel in good condition, at some point you may need to repeat the seasoning process. If food sticks to the surface, or you notice a dull, gray color, repeat the seasoning process.
- Using a bench scraper or burger spatula, remove any raised, caked on material for the Baking Steel.
- Wash the Baking Steel with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. (It is okay to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the Baking Steel.)
- Rinse and dry completely.
- Apply a dab of organic flax seed oil (recommend Barleans or another high smoke point oil) in the center of the Baking Steel. Take a paper towel and wipe the oil around the steel evenly. Use another paper towel and wipe off excess. Do this to both sides of the Baking Steel.
- Place dry, oiled Baking Steel into oven so it is ready for the next Pizza Night.